One thing I noticed when looking for a photographer is how many different types of photo shoots they all offer. And I know, since Pinterest is teaching everyone how to be an amateur photographer and everyone's phones can take pictures, we're all very picture happy. I do happen to love Instagram.
But when you're paying hundreds of dollars for these types of services, doesn't it seem a little ridiculous?
As far as weddings go, you have:
- Engagements - you and your fiancee pose in semi-casual clothing in a way that is supposed to emphasize your personality. They're also frequently very artsy (or at least attempting to be).
- Here's an example of one: http://greenweddingshoes.com/jack-jill-inspired-engagement-session/
- Bridals - these do not always take place on your wedding day. They're just of you in your wedding dress looking super bridal.
- Another example: http://www.ronparksphotography.com/blog/2011/bridal-photoshoots/
- Boudoir - this is supposed to be the sexy photo shoot that you do as a gift for your fiancee. Suffice it to say, I get this one least of all.
- The Wedding Itself
- Trash the Dress - this is the one where you dive into the ocean after your wedding, completely ruining the wedding dress that you spent thousands of dollars on it. Now, this one can also be artistic, and even though I have no idea why anyone would spend hundreds of dollars to take pictures of them ruining a very expensive dress, the finished product can be quite impressive.
See? That's really cool. Scary for the subject, but what an awesome product.
Those are all the wedding photo shoots I can think of at the moment. If you can think of any more, please comment and share!
Then there are the more baby-centered photo shoots.
- Gender reveals - this one is kind of new (to me, at least), but basically, it's something really creative you do to say "girl" (with pink) and "boy" (with blue).
- Example that I found from Pinterest: http://iheartpears.blogspot.com/2012/09/15-awesome-gender-reveals.html
- Really pregnant photo shoot - basically, you're huge, but your husband still loves you, and you need to take pictures of it. Oddly, this kind of photo shoot happens with any of your unborn children, not just your first.
- Example: this picture http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-tLL5RXVm_X4/UFPMwPqBy6I/AAAAAAAAGGQ/8RnrJmSYrdU/s1600/_MG_2851edit1+for+blog.jpg which is from this website http://photographybynicolemadsen.blogspot.com/
- Newborn - your child is weeks old, and that's adorable.
- Family with new baby - pretty much explains itself, and is equally adorable.
So basically, the conclusion is that the wedding industry is trying to get as much money out of you as possible (because they know they can) and photographers have to participate in that, even if they don't want to. And sometimes, their clients come up with some really weird ideas.
Don't fall for it! Do not pay for all of these pictures just because you think you're supposed to! You do not need all of them!