Anyway, books (or authors) I have to read this year:
- Amy Tan. I've bought about six of her books from Deseret Industries (for those not living in Utah, DI is like Salvation Army. So books are usually a dollar or less) and I've only ever read The Joy Luck Club. Books on my shelf include: The Kitchen God's Wife and The Bone Setter's Daughter. I also need to read Saving Fish from Drowning.
- Joyce Carol Oates. Of hers I have My Sister, My Love and The Gravedigger's Daughter (which sounds a lot like Amy Tan's title ... hmm ...). Oates has always been a favorite of mine, and I loved her stream-of-conscious novel Foxfire: Confessions of a Girl Gang. Also, I found her Twitter account, where she is adorable and insightful: https://twitter.com/JoyceCarolOates.
- Both The Lonely Polygamist by Brady Udall and The Poisonwood Bible by Barbara Kingsolver were from a binge Barnes & Noble trip I did OVER A YEAR AGO and have been sitting on my shelf looking lovely and longing to be read. Kingsolver's book was very highly recommended to me by a friend. Both will be tackled this year!!!
- Sophie's World by Jostein Gaarder is a novel that caught my eye ALMOST TEN YEARS AGO. When I was about 12, I used to go to B&N.com and scan through lists of books and pick out the ones that I wanted to read. I was a nerd. And homeschooled. This novel is about 500 pages long, and it was never on the top of my list, so I never got around to it. Recently, I found it at a used bookstore, so now I HAVE to actually read it. And I will.
- The Red Garden by Alice Hoffman, The Artist of the Floating World by Kazuo Ishiguro, This Side of Paradise by F. Scott Fitzgerald, and The Devil and Miss Prynn by Paulo Coelho are all books I want to read because I've read and loved other books by the same authors.
- The English Patient by Michael Ondaatje and Into the Wild by Jon Krakauer were both recommended and given to me by friends/my brother. It's gonna happen.
- And Snow Flower and the Secret Fan by Lisa See is one I've seen in many bookstores and finally found at a used one. It's also a New York Times Bestseller. Plus, I like Amy Tan a lot, so I figured this might be similar.
- Anything by Haruki Murakami. I just finished 1Q84 and I LOVED it. He has so many other books that are also bestsellers. Except I don't own any of them because I got this one from the library and I'll get the others from the library too. I will!!!
It'll happen, you guys. I'm going to do it. I'm going to read them all and actually keep a New Year's Resolution.
(No, I won't. I never keep resolutions and I'm probably going to find new books at new bookstores that catch my attention more. But I don't even care. I'm just crazy about books.)